Snacks are the most interesting part of the food. One of the most favorite types of the snack is the ‘popcorn’. People of all the age groups enjoy eating these crunchy-munchy delights. It is an all-time favorite movie snack. There are different varieties of popcorn available in the market which include plain, salted, caramelized, spiced, buttered, etc. One can eat the popcorn as dried ones or a bit gooey.
Nutritional Value of Popcorn:
Popcorn is made of the whole grain and thus it has high nutritional value. One can observe the nutritional details given on the popcorn boxes they purchase. It has a high content of dietary fiber, antioxidant, polyphenolic compounds, vitamin B complex, etc. Popcorn has high mineral content like manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, etc. It is devoid of calories. Due to all these contents, even most of the health conscious people opt for this snack.
Benefits Of Eating Popcorn:
The large varieties of the flavors of the popcorn attract many people for munching on it. Addition of butter, cheese, chocolate or any other flavor adds up to its caloric content. The popcorn recipes plain popcorn has numerous health benefits which include:
- Improve digestion: Popcorn is the popped form of the whole corn grain, thus it is rich in dietary fibers, minerals, and vitamins. All these help to maintain the proper functioning of the bowel movements. It helps to improve digestion and relieves constipation. The fibers help in secretion of the digestive juices and also in stimulating the peristaltic motion. This together helps to improve the process of digestion.
- Reduce cholesterol levels: Fibers in the popcorn help to remove the excess cholesterol from the blood vessel walls and arteries. The popcorn also helps to avoid the serious cardiovascular diseases like atherosclerosis, stroke, heart attacks, etc. It helps to reduce the pressure on the heart thus leading to a healthy heart.
- Control blood sugar levels: The high fiber content helps to improve the activity of insulin. Thus, it helps to maintain the normal blood sugar levels. Popcorn acts as a boom to the diabetic patients as it reduces the fluctuation in blood sugar level.
- Prevent cancer: Popcorn has a high content of polyphenolic compounds which have high antioxidant activity. These antioxidants help to scavenge the free radicals related to cancer. The free radicals interfere with the cellular DNA leading to cancer.
- Anti-Ageing: The free radicals in the body are responsible for many other problems such as muscle weakness, wrinkles, macular degeneration, age spots, blindness, hair loss, dementia, etc. All these problems are age-related and seen mostly in older people. The scavenging activity of popcorn eliminates the free radicals and help to reduce all these problems thus showing anti-aging activity.
- Weight loss: The calorie content of the popcorn is very less with high fiber, thus the person feels full. It also prevents overeating. Popcorn has a low content of saturated oils which aids in weight loss.
- Prevent Alzheimer: Alzheimer is neurodegenerative diseases caused due to loss of neurons. This problem arises due to increased activity of the free radicals in the neurons. The antioxidants in the popcorn decrease the free radicals which are the main causative agents thus reducing the chances of causing Alzheimer.
Considering all the above benefits of eating the popcorn, one can include the plain popcorn to get maximum benefits from their regular snacks. Contact to Popcorn Australia to buy Online Popcorn and Popcorn Recipes.